Remembering William Butler Yeats:
June 13, 1865–January 28, 1939
William Butler Yeats, the Irish poet, playwright, and politician, was born on this day in 1865. One of the greatest literary figures of the 20th century, Yeats’ life and work straddle the great divide between Romanticism and Modernism. He received the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1923.
In life and in art, Yeats rejected modern rationalism, materialism, and egalitarianism. He saw them as coarsening and brutalizing.
Spiritually, Yeats was drawn to mysticism and the occult, influenced in particular by Emanuel Swedenborg and William Blake. Politically, like so many great literary artists of the first half of the 20th century, Yeats was drawn to fascism. To learn more about Yeats’ life, art, and politics, see the following works on this site:
- Kerry Bolton, “W. B. Yeats” (from Artists of the Right)
- Jonathan Bowden, “W. B. Yeats“
- Nicholas R. Jeelvy, “Jonathan Bowden’s Reactionary Modernism“
- Greg Johnson, “Yeats’ Pagan Second Coming” (Translations: French, German, Spanish)
- Vic Olvir, “William Butler Yeats: A Poet for the West“
- James J. O’Meara, “Artist and Autist: Cowley in the Light of Neville, Part 2)
- George Orwell, “W. B. Yeats as Occult Fascist“
Share your favorite Yeats poems below.
* * *
Counter-Currents has extended special privileges to those who donate $120 or more per year.
- First, donor comments will appear immediately instead of waiting in a moderation queue. (People who abuse this privilege will lose it.)
- Second, donors will have immediate access to all Counter-Currents posts. Non-donors will find that one post a day, five posts a week will be behind a “paywall” and will be available to the general public after 30 days.
To get full access to all content behind the paywall, sign up here:
Paywall Gift Subscriptions
- your payment
- the recipient’s name
- the recipient’s email address
- your name
- your email address
To register, just fill out this form and we will walk you through the payment and registration process. There are a number of different payment options.
We Apologize for Your Feral Behavior
Counter-Currents Radio Podcast No. 458 Gregory Hood & Greg Johnson on Burnham & Machiavellianism
O Manifesto Nacionalista Branco: Parte 10, O que Há de Errado com a Diversidade?
Counter-Currents Radio Podcast No. 457
Greg Johnson & Millennial Woes on Common Mistakes in English
O Manifesto Nacionalista Branco: Parte 9, Supremacismo
O Manifesto Nacionalista Branco: Parte 8, Raça Branca
Our Prophet: Christopher Lasch’s The Revolt of the Elites, Part 2
Our Prophet: Christopher Lasch’s The Revolt of the Elites, Part 1