Counter-Currents Radio Podcast No. 511 Christmas Lore with Hwitgeard on The Writers’ BlocCounter-Currents Radio
Host Nick Jeelvy welcomed scholar and folklorist Hwitgeard back to The Writers’ Bloc to regale us with the Christmas lore of the European peoples, and it is now available for download and online listening.
Topics discussed include:
St. Nicholas and Father Christmas
Germanic and Nordic conceptions of Yule
Yule as a period, rather than a day
Yule as a time of dissolution before the reconsecration of the year
Demonic companions of St. Nicholas
The Slaughter of the Innocents
Zwarter Piet as an Odinic companion
History of the Christmas tree and the German roots of modern Christmas celebration
Jewish attitudes towards Christmas
Abundance as a revolt against winter
Food traditions around Christmas
Christmas as a quest for joy
To listen in a player, click here. To download, right-click the link and click “save as.”
* * *
Don’t forget to sign up for the weekly email Counter-Currents Newsletter for exclusive content, offers, and news.
* * *
Counter-Currents has extended special privileges to those who donate $120 or more per year.
- First, donor comments will appear immediately instead of waiting in a moderation queue. (People who abuse this privilege will lose it.)
- Second, donors will have immediate access to all Counter-Currents posts. Non-donors will find that one post a day, five posts a week will be behind a “Paywall” and will be available to the general public after 30 days.
- Third, Paywall members have the ability to edit their comments.
- Fourth, Paywall members can “commission” a yearly article from Counter-Currents. Just send a question that you’d like to have discussed to [email protected]. (Obviously, the topics must be suitable to Counter-Currents and its broader project, as well as the interests and expertise of our writers.)
To get full access to all content behind the paywall, sign up here:
Paywall Gift Subscriptions
- your payment
- the recipient’s name
- the recipient’s email address
- your name
- your email address
To register, just fill out this form and we will walk you through the payment and registration process. There are a number of different payment options.
Enjoyed this article?
Be the first to leave a tip in the jar!
“A Few More Steps and We Were . . . On Some Edge of Things”: Staircases That Lead Nowhere, Part 2
Counter-Currents Radio Podcast No. 561: An All-Star Thanksgiving Weekend Special
Used to Be a Bad Guy: Carlito’s Way at 30
The Suppression of the Maryland Moderates During the Civil War
Black Friday Special: It’s Time to STOP Shopping for Christmas
The Anti-Black Plague: “Black Death” of 1347-1351 Kills Half of Europe . . . Black Women Most Affected
G. Gordon Liddy’s When I Was a Kid, This Was a Free Country, Part 2
Counter-Currents Radio Podcast No. 560: Is Elon Musk the New Henry Ford?