Remembering Alan Watts (January 6, 1915–November 16, 1973)Greg Johnson
Alan Watts was born on this day in 1915. A prolific scholar and dazzling stylist, Watts is best known as the chief popularizer of Asian philosophy for the Beat and Hippy movements, but he was also an original thinker in his own right and a quiet man of the Right. In commemoration of his birth, I wish to draw your attention to these works at Counter-Currents:
- Martin Aurelio, “The Wisdom of the East?“
- Counter-Currents Radio Podcast no. 401, “Five Essential Books“
- Greg Johnson, “Alan Watts at 100” (Spanish translation)
- Greg Johnson, “The Spiritual Materialism of Alan Watts: A Review of Does It Matter?” (French translation)
- James J. O’Meara, “Alan Watts: The First Alt-Academic“
- James J. O’Meara, “‘PC is for Squares, Man’: Alan Watts and the Game of Trump“
- James J. O’Meara, “Re-Kindling Alan Watts,” Part 1, Part 2
- James J. O’Meara, “There and Then: Personal and Memorial Reflections on Alan Watts“
Note: James O’Meara’s essays on Watts have been collected in his book Mysticism after Modernism: Crowley, Evola, Neville, Watts, Colin Wilson & Other Populist Gurus (Melbourne: Manticore, 2018).
* * *
Counter-Currents has extended special privileges to those who donate $120 or more per year.
- First, donor comments will appear immediately instead of waiting in a moderation queue. (People who abuse this privilege will lose it.)
- Second, donors will have immediate access to all Counter-Currents posts. Non-donors will find that one post a day, five posts a week will be behind a “paywall” and will be available to the general public after 30 days.
To get full access to all content behind the paywall, sign up here:
Paywall Gift Subscriptions
- your payment
- the recipient’s name
- the recipient’s email address
- your name
- your email address
To register, just fill out this form and we will walk you through the payment and registration process. There are a number of different payment options.
Enjoyed this article?
Be the first to leave a tip in the jar!
We Have Much to be Thankful For
Black Friday Special: It’s Time to STOP Shopping for Christmas
Nueva Derecha vs. Vieja Derecha, Capítulo 12: La Cuestión Cristiana en el Nacionalismo Blanco
Remembering P. R. Stephensen
Remembering René Guénon: November 15, 1886–January 7, 1951
Counter-Currents Radio Podcast No. 559: The Return of Tommy Robinson
Nueva Derecha vs. Vieja Derecha Capítulo 11: Nacionalismo Blanco y Nacionalismo Judío