Remembering René Guénon:
November 15, 1886–January 7, 1951
René Guénon was born on November 15, 1886. Along with Julius Evola, Guénon was one of the leading figures in the Traditionalist school, which has deeply influenced my own outlook and the metapolitical mission and editorial agenda of Counter-Currents Publishing and North American New Right. (For a sense of my differences with Guénon, see my lecture on “Vico and the New Right.”)
In commemoration of his birth, I wish to draw your attention to the following works on this website.
- Michael Bell, “Man’s Devolution Across Cycles” (Czech translation here)
- Thomas F. Bertonneau, “The Kali Yuga: René Guénon’s Critique of Modernity“
- Collin Cleary, “Heidegger Against the Traditionalists” (Greek translation here)
- Coomeraswamy, “Towards a Right-Wing Critical Theory“
- Alain de Benoist, “Spiritual Authority and Temporal Power,” trans. Jon Graham
- Julius Evola, “René Guénon and Integral Traditionalism“
- Julius Evola, “René Guénon: East and West,” trans. anonymous, rev. Greg Johnson
- Jonatán Gődény, “The Great Parody“
- Greg Johnson, “Mircea Eliade, Carl Schmitt, and René Guénon“
- Greg Johnson, “Metapolitics and Occult Warfare,” Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4 (French translation here)
- James J. O’Meara, “Hook, Line, and Sinker: Steve Bannon and the Usual Suspects“
- Edouard Rix, “Remembering René Guénon,” trans. Greg Johnson (Czech version here)
- Harry Oldmeadow, “Biography of René Guénon“
- Savitri Devi, “Hitlerian Esotericism & the Tradition“
- “Interview with Charles Upton,” Part 1, Part 2
- Charles Upton, “Spiritual Warfare,” Part 1
This relative handful of articles does not give a true sense of Guénon’s importance, for along with Evola, Nietzsche, and Spengler, he is also one of the most widely mentioned thinkers on this site. It is a presence, and an influence, that will only grow in time.
Those looking for an introduction to Guénon’s work should begin with the short and relatively accessible The Crisis of the Modern World. For a judicious overview of Guénon’s works, see The Essential René Guénon: Metaphysics, Tradition, and the Crisis of Modernity. My personal favorite among Guénon’s books, and the one the provides the most “empirical” access to the idea of Tradition, is Symbols of Sacred Science.
For a brief biography of Guénon, see Robin Waterfield, René Guénon and the Future of the West: The Life and Writings of a 20th-Century Metaphysician and Paul Chacornac’s The Simple Life of René Guénon. For an interesting and readable historical/journalistic account of Traditionalism, see Mark Sedgwick, Against the Modern World: Traditionalism and the Secret Intellectual History of the Twentieth Century.
* * *
Counter-Currents has extended special privileges to those who donate $120 or more per year.
- First, donor comments will appear immediately instead of waiting in a moderation queue. (People who abuse this privilege will lose it.)
- Second, donors will have immediate access to all Counter-Currents posts. Non-donors will find that one post a day, five posts a week will be behind a “Paywall” and will be available to the general public after 30 days.
- Third, Paywall members have the ability to edit their comments.
- Fourth, Paywall members can “commission” a yearly article from Counter-Currents. Just send a question that you’d like to have discussed to [email protected]. (Obviously, the topics must be suitable to Counter-Currents and its broader project, as well as the interests and expertise of our writers.)
- Fifth, Paywall members will have access to the Counter-Currents Telegram group.
To get full access to all content behind the paywall, sign up here:
Paywall Gift Subscriptions
If you are already behind the paywall and want to share the benefits, Counter-Currents also offers paywall gift subscriptions. We need just five things from you:
- your payment
- the recipient’s name
- the recipient’s email address
- your name
- your email address
To register, just fill out this form and we will walk you through the payment and registration process. There are a number of different payment options.
Counter-Currents Radio Podcast No. 534 Interview with Alexander Adams
Notes on Strauss & Husserl
Remembering Oswald Spengler (May 29, 1880-May 8, 1936)
Remembering Louis-Ferdinand Céline (May 27, 1894–July 1, 1961)
Nueva Derecha vs. Vieja Derecha Capítulo 1: Política y Metapolítica
Remembering Richard Wagner (May 22, 1813-February 13, 1883)
Remembering Dominique Venner (April 16, 1935–May 21, 2013)
Remembering Julius Evola (May 19, 1898–June 11, 1974)