Counter-Currents Radio Podcast No. 567
The First Meeting of the Counter-Currents Book Club
236 words / 1:57:46
Every month in 2024, Greg Johnson will invite some of our authors and friends to read and discuss some of the best material from our catalog and more in what we are calling The Counter-Currents Book Club. The first meeting was held in place of our most recent Counter-Currents Radio broadcast, where Greg was joined by Margot Metroland, James J. O’Meara, and Kathryn S. to discuss our latest publication by Jonathan Bowden, The Cultured Thug. It is now available for download and online listening.
Topics discussed include:
00:02:23 How The Cultured Thug came about
00:05:54 Margot on the history of George Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four
00:17:31 Was Orwell a Rightist or Leftist?
00:22:47 The chapter on plays
00:29:54 Bowden saw Counter-Currents as a university
00:32:37 Should we rewrite Nineteen Eighty-Four?
00:35:46 Franz Kafka thought he was a comedy writer
00:38:45 The all-white rendition of Porgy and Bess
00:41:27 James’ favorite parts of the book
00:54:29 On the Robinson Jeffers chapter
00:58:06 Were there any parts of the book that weren’t good?
01:02:29 On George Steiner
01:07:47 How Bowden would compose his essays
01:15:30 James’ criticisms of the book
01:17:53 On Left-wing companies that publish Right-wing books
01:27:04 When will Jonathan Bowden’s biography be published?
01:32:11 Bowden lied about his own life
01:33:23 On Bowden’s psychotic episode
01:46:39 Was there a Bowden connection to Stuart Holroyd?
01:49:15 Comment on Leon Trotsky
To listen in a player, click here or below. To download, right-click the link and click “save as.”
Enjoyed this article?
Be the first to leave a tip in the jar!
* * *
Counter-Currents has extended special privileges to those who donate at least $10/month or $120/year.
- Donors will have immediate access to all Counter-Currents posts. Everyone else will find that one post a day, five posts a week will be behind a “paywall” and will be available to the general public after 30 days. Naturally, we do not grant permission to other websites to repost paywall content before 30 days have passed.
- Paywall member comments will appear immediately instead of waiting in a moderation queue. (People who abuse this privilege will lose it.)
- Paywall members have the option of editing their comments.
- Paywall members get an Badge badge on their comments.
- Paywall members can “like” comments.
- Paywall members can “commission” a yearly article from Counter-Currents. Just send a question that you’d like to have discussed to [email protected]. (Obviously, the topics must be suitable to Counter-Currents and its broader project, as well as the interests and expertise of our writers.)
To get full access to all content behind the paywall, please visit our redesigned Paywall page.
Remembering Jan Assmann: July 7, 1938–February 19, 2024
50,000 Years of Failure
Nueva Derecha vs. Vieja Derecha, Capítulo 23: Agentes Secretos
The Counter-Currents Book Club: F. Roger Devlin’s Sexual Utopia in Power
Nueva Derecha vs. Vieja Derecha, Capítulo 22: Nacionalismo Blanco Explícito
Crowdsourcing Request: Missing Citations in Francis Parker Yockey’s Imperium
Mysticism as the Path to Political and Social Change: The Aristocratic Radicalism of Mystics and Occult Thinkers
Nueva Derecha vs. Vieja Derecha, Capítulo 21: Aprendiendo de la Izquierda Dedicación y Liderazgo, de Douglas Hyde