Counter-Currents Radio Podcast No. 542
Greg Johnson on Plato’s Gorgias,
Greg Johnson is teaching a five-week course on Plato’s Gorgias on Counter-Currents Radio, which will continue for the next two Saturdays later this month (July 22 and 29). The third lecture, focusing on the first third of Socrates’ discussion with Callicles, can be heard below. The first lecture can be heard here, and the second here.
The theme of the course is “Might vs. Right.” Dr. Johnson is using Donald J. Zeyl’s translation of the Gorgias published by Hackett as both a separate book and as part of their Plato Complete Works volume. You can use other translations, because all Plato translations have a standard citation format known as Stephanus numbers, which appear in the margins of each translation. There are many free online translations, for instance this one at Archive.org.
Every educated person should be familiar with Plato, but higher education today is usually a barrier to understanding the great thinkers of the past. Hence the need for Counter-Currents, which Jonathan Bowden described as an online university of the Right.
The streams will start at noon Pacific, 3pm Eastern Standard Time, 8pm UK time, and 9pm Central European Time on:
Send questions & donations to Entropy: entropystream.live/countercurrents
To listen in a player, click here. To download, right-click the link and click “save as.”
* * *
Don’t forget to sign up for the weekly email Counter-Currents Newsletter for exclusive content, offers, and news.
* * *
Counter-Currents has extended special privileges to those who donate $120 or more per year.
- First, donor comments will appear immediately instead of waiting in a moderation queue. (People who abuse this privilege will lose it.)
- Second, donors will have immediate access to all Counter-Currents posts. Non-donors will find that one post a day, five posts a week will be behind a “Paywall” and will be available to the general public after 30 days.
- Third, Paywall members have the ability to edit their comments.
- Fourth, Paywall members can “commission” a yearly article from Counter-Currents. Just send a question that you’d like to have discussed to [email protected]. (Obviously, the topics must be suitable to Counter-Currents and its broader project, as well as the interests and expertise of our writers.)
To get full access to all content behind the paywall, sign up here:
Paywall Gift Subscriptions
- your payment
- the recipient’s name
- the recipient’s email address
- your name
- your email address
To register, just fill out this form and we will walk you through the payment and registration process. There are a number of different payment options.
Enjoyed this article?
Be the first to leave a tip in the jar!
On Why Pickup Artists are Superior to the Tradcon Manosphere
What’s With the Egos on These Negroes?
Nueva Derecha vs. Vieja Derecha, Capítulo 26: Los Nacionalistas Blancos y la “Política Dominante”
Counter-Currents Radio Podcast No. 574: James Tucker on George Grant and Nationalism
Nueva Derecha vs. Vieja Derecha, Capítulo 25: Primero, no hagas Daño
Counter-Currents Radio Podcast No. 573: Keith Woods Responds to Academic Agent on Ideology vs. Power
Nueva Derecha vs. Vieja Derecha, Capítulo 24: La Psicología de la Apostasía
Svengali and the Transformation of an Anti-Semitic Hit