Counter-Currents Radio Podcast No. 502 The Writers’ Bloc with Kathryn S. on OrientalismCounter-Currents Radio
The eclectic scholar Kathryn S. returned to join host Nick Jeelvy on the latest broadcast of The Writers’ Bloc for a discussion on Orientalism — what happens when Western man gazes eastwards — and it is now available for download and online listening.
Topics discussed include:
00:08:30 Kathryn’s introduction (her essay “I Dream of Djinni: Orientalist Manias in Western Lands,” Part 1 and Part 2)
00:16:30 Orientalism according to Edward Said
00:35:00 Western ruling class perception of its own population
00:47:00 Western curiosity about the world
00:59:00 Where Said gets it wrong
01:09:00 Decadent xenophilia towards the Orient
01:20:00 Superstitious peasants and folk horror
01:41:00 Is it possible to have a healthy Orientalism?
To listen in a player, click here. To download, right-click the link and click “save as.”
* * *
Don’t forget to sign up for the weekly email Counter-Currents Newsletter for exclusive content, offers, and news.
* * *
Counter-Currents has extended special privileges to those who donate $120 or more per year.
- First, donor comments will appear immediately instead of waiting in a moderation queue. (People who abuse this privilege will lose it.)
- Second, donors will have immediate access to all Counter-Currents posts. Non-donors will find that one post a day, five posts a week will be behind a “Paywall” and will be available to the general public after 30 days.
- Third, Paywall members have the ability to edit their comments.
- Fourth, Paywall members can “commission” a yearly article from Counter-Currents. Just send a question that you’d like to have discussed to [email protected]. (Obviously, the topics must be suitable to Counter-Currents and its broader project, as well as the interests and expertise of our writers.)
- Fifth, Paywall members will have access to the Counter-Currents Telegram group.
To get full access to all content behind the paywall, sign up here:
Paywall Gift Subscriptions
- your payment
- the recipient’s name
- the recipient’s email address
- your name
- your email address
To register, just fill out this form and we will walk you through the payment and registration process. There are a number of different payment options.
Who Drinks More, the Rich or the Poor?
Counter-Currents Radio Podcast No. 554 How Often Does Pox Think About the Roman Empire? . . . & Other Matters
White Altruism Revealed
The Matter with Concrete, Part 2
The Matter with Concrete, Part 1
The Captivity Narrative of Fanny Kelly
The Virgin Queen Chihuahua Has Spoken!
Race and IQ Differences: An Interview with Arthur Jensen, Part 2