The concept of envy — the hatred of the superior — has dropped out of our moral vocabulary. Liberalism has fuzzy ideas of historical guilt, but not original sin, or pride, or envy, which is pride’s obverse. The idea that white Christian civilization is hated more for its virtues than its sins doesn’t occur to us, because it’s not a nice idea. Not that its sins aren’t considerable; but to the envious, sin is more forgivable than virtue.
Western man towers over the rest of the world in ways so large as to be almost inexpressible. It’s Western exploration, science, and conquest that have revealed the world to itself. Other races feel like subjects of Western power long after colonialism, imperialism, and slavery have disappeared. The charge of racism puzzles whites who feel not hostility, but only baffled good will, because they don’t grasp what it really means: humiliation. The white man presents an image of superiority even when he isn’t conscious of it. And, superiority excites envy. Destroying white civilization is the inmost desire of the league of designated victims we call “minorities.” — Joseph Sobran, “Liberty, Equality, Diversity,” Sobran’s: The Real News of the Month, April 1997, pp. 4-5. Copyright (c) The Fitzgerald Griffin Foundation. Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.
* * *
Counter-Currents has extended special privileges to those who donate $120 or more per year.
- First, donor comments will appear immediately instead of waiting in a moderation queue. (People who abuse this privilege will lose it.)
- Second, donors will have immediate access to all Counter-Currents posts. Non-donors will find that one post a day, five posts a week will be behind a “Paywall” and will be available to the general public after 30 days.
- Third, Paywall members have the ability to edit their comments.
- Fourth, Paywall members can “commission” a yearly article from Counter-Currents. Just send a question that you’d like to have discussed to [email protected]. (Obviously, the topics must be suitable to Counter-Currents and its broader project, as well as the interests and expertise of our writers.)
To get full access to all content behind the paywall, sign up here:
Paywall Gift Subscriptions
- your payment
- the recipient’s name
- the recipient’s email address
- your name
- your email address
To register, just fill out this form and we will walk you through the payment and registration process. There are a number of different payment options.
Enjoyed this article?
Be the first to leave a tip in the jar!
Are We (Finally) Living in the World of Atlas Shrugged? Part 2
The Worst Week Yet: October 29-November 4, 2023
Counter-Currents Radio Podcast No. 551: Ask Me Anything with Matt Parrott
Ted Talk: An Analysis of Ted Kaczynski’s Manifesto, Part 1
Kevin MacDonald on Whites & Individualism
A Depressing Election
The Last Nice White Man
Counter-Currents Radio Podcast No. 487 New Ask Me Anything with Greg Johnson