Theodore Lothrop Stoddard was born on this day in 1883. Stoddard was a historian, political theorist, and white advocate. Born in Brookline, Massachusetts, Stoddard attended Harvard College, graduating magna cum laude in 1905. He then studied law at Boston University. Stoddard received his Ph.D. in history from Harvard University in 1914. Stoddard was the author of eighteen books, the best known of which is The Rising Tide of Color Against White World Supremacy (1920), which proved prophetic. As a white preservationist, Stoddard campaigned for immigration reform, anti-miscegenation laws, and eugenics. Along with Margaret Sanger, Stoddard was a founding member of Planned Parenthood. He was also a member of the Ku Klux Klan. Stoddard’s work was consigned to oblivion after the Second World War, but subsequent history proved him right.
To learn more about Stoddard’s life and work, please see the following works on Counter-Currents:
- Beau Albrecht, “Lothrop Stoddard’s Into the Darkness,” Part 1, Part 2.
- Jonathan Bowden, “The E Word: Eugenics and Environmentalism, Madison Grant and Lothrop Stoddard.”
- T. H. Corday, “The Legacy of Lothrop Stoddard.”
- Margot Metroland, “In Praise of Healthy Vice.”
- Margot Metroland, “Lothrop Stoddard in Geopolitics.”
- Morris van de Camp, “Lothrop Stoddard: A Prophet We Should Study.”
Also see articles tagged Lothrop Stoddard.
* * *
Counter-Currents has extended special privileges to those who donate $120 or more per year.
- First, donor comments will appear immediately instead of waiting in a moderation queue. (People who abuse this privilege will lose it.)
- Second, donors will have immediate access to all Counter-Currents posts. Non-donors will find that one post a day, five posts a week will be behind a “Paywall” and will be available to the general public after 30 days.
- Third, Paywall members have the ability to edit their comments.
- Fourth, Paywall members can “commission” a yearly article from Counter-Currents. Just send a question that you’d like to have discussed to [email protected]. (Obviously, the topics must be suitable to Counter-Currents and its broader project, as well as the interests and expertise of our writers.)
To get full access to all content behind the paywall, sign up here:
Paywall Gift Subscriptions
- your payment
- the recipient’s name
- the recipient’s email address
- your name
- your email address
To register, just fill out this form and we will walk you through the payment and registration process. There are a number of different payment options.
Enjoyed this article?
Be the first to leave a tip in the jar!
We Have Much to be Thankful For
Black Friday Special: It’s Time to STOP Shopping for Christmas
Nueva Derecha vs. Vieja Derecha, Capítulo 12: La Cuestión Cristiana en el Nacionalismo Blanco
Remembering P. R. Stephensen
Remembering René Guénon: November 15, 1886–January 7, 1951
Counter-Currents Radio Podcast No. 559: The Return of Tommy Robinson
Nueva Derecha vs. Vieja Derecha Capítulo 11: Nacionalismo Blanco y Nacionalismo Judío