Percy Reginald Stephensen was born on November 20, 1901. Stephensen was a writer, publisher, and political activist dedicated to the interests of the white race and the Australian nation. Like Jack London , Stephensen was an archetypal man of the racially conscious Left . He began his political career as a Communist but later moved to the nationalistic, anti-Semitic Right. From 1942 to 1945, he was interned without trial for his pro-German and pro-Japanese sympathies.
Early in his career as a publisher, Stephensen championed the works of Nietzsche, D. H. Lawrence, and Aleister Crowley. Later, he worked to promote a distinctly Australian national literature and culture. As a political organizer and propagandist, he worked for an Australia First economic and foreign policy.
Stephensen was a prolific author. He published over thirty books under his own name. He also translated works by Lenin and Nietzsche. On top of that, he wrote nearly seventy books as a ghostwriter for Frank Clune.
To learn more about Stephensen’s life and work, read Kerry Bolton’s biographical essay, “P. R. Stephensen .” See also his profile of Lionel Lindsay , which also discusses Stephensen, who was an acquaintance, as well as the first part of his profile of Norman Lindsay .
I also wish to draw your attention to the following works by Stephensen on this site:
- Australia First Manifesto 
- “The Foundations of Culture in Australia: An Essay Towards National Self-Respect” (Excerpts from Part One) 
- “A Reasoned Case Against Semitism “
For other works by Stephensen, see The Percy Stephensen Collection .
* * *
Counter-Currents has extended special privileges to those who donate $120 or more per year.
- First, donor comments will appear immediately instead of waiting in a moderation queue. (People who abuse this privilege will lose it.)
- Second, donors will have immediate access to all Counter-Currents posts. Non-donors will find that one post a day, five posts a week will be behind a “paywall” and will be available to the general public after 30 days.
To get full access to all content behind the paywall, sign up here:
Paywall Gift Subscriptions
- your payment
- the recipient’s name
- the recipient’s email address
- your name
- your email address
To register, just fill out this form and we will walk you through the payment and registration process. There are a number of different payment options.