The Counter-Currents 2014 Summer Fundraiser
Our Writer of the Year: James J. O’Meara
In the fourth week of the Counter-Currents 2014 Summer Fundraiser, we received 10 donations totaling $1,045. Donations ranged in amount from $10 to $300. Two of these donations were just the first of ongoing monthly pledges, which are particularly important. Again, I want to thank all our donors for their generosity.
Our total is now $4,433.83. Our goal is $40,000, so that now means that we have $35,566.17 left to raise by Halloween. That is a bit more than $2,000 per week for the next 16 weeks. With your help, we’ll make it, but we definitely need to gain some momentum.
One of the best ways to impart some momentum to our fundraiser is to offer a matching grant. If you would like to set one up, please contact me at [email protected].
* * *
As part of our birthday celebrations, Counter-Currents names a Writer of the Year for the previous year. Our past laureates are Andrew Hamilton and Gregory Hood. This year’s Writer of the Year is James J. O’Meara.
James is one of my favorite Counter-Currents writers for several reasons.
First, he is simply brilliant: utterly unique and irreplaceable in his fusion of New Right metapolitics with Traditionalism and masculinism, which he applies to high and low culture alike, finding deep meanings and unsuspected connections in surprising places.
Second, James is an amazingly versatile writer, covering high and low literature, classical and popular music, film and television, sexuality, and fashion — often in the same essays. Here are some of my favorite pieces:
- “Welcome to the Club: The Rise & Fall of the Männerbund in Pre-War American Pop Culture”
- “A Light Unto the Nations: Reflections on Olaf Stapledon’s The Flames”
- “Green Nazis in Space!”
- “Evola on Wheels: Psychomania as Hermetic Initiation”
- “From Ultrasuede to Limelight: Aryan Entrepreneurs in the Dark Age,” Part 1: Halston, Part 2: Peter Gatien
- “‘God, I’m with a heathen.’ The Rebirth of the Männerbund in Brian De Palma’s The Untouchables”
- “Wild Boys vs. ‘Hard Men’”
- “The Eldritch Evola”
- “White Rock”
- “Humphrey Bogart: A Man Among the Cockroaches”
Third, James is prolific, writing 23 articles in our fourth year of publication, including three long, multi-part pieces. Counter-Currents has published two anthologies of his essays, The Homo and the Negro: Masculinist Meditiations on Politics and Popular Culture (2012) and The Eldritch Evola . . . and Others: Traditionalist Meditations on Literature, Art, and Culture (2014), and two more collections are in the works.
Fourth, one of Counter-Currents’ main metapolitical projects is to help foster a New Right literary and artistic subculture. That project has three aspects:
- setting up historical examples of great artists of the Right to be emulated by artists today (for example, Kerry Bolton’s Artists of the Right)
- publishing new literary works (for example, by Leo Yankevich, Andy Nowicki, and Juleigh Howard-Hobson)
- providing critical feedback to New Right authors
James has been very helpful in all three of these areas.
- James has written on the metapolitical importance of such literary and artistic figures as H. P. Lovecraft, Henry James, Ralph Adams Cram, Scott Walker, Harry Partch, Owen Wister, and Olaf Stapledon.
- James has been working behind the scenes as our literary editor, examining manuscripts and offering advice for improving them.
- When James first started writing for Counter-Currents, I very quickly recognized that he is a first-rate literary critic. He was initially surprised at that suggestion, but his work speaks for itself. He has provided excellent critical feedback and encouragement for such writers as Andy Nowicki, Ann Sterzinger, Paul Bingham, Sam Finlay, Derek Turner, and Jeff Frankas.
James is living proof that critics are almost as necessary as creators in advancing a literary movement. Thank you, James!
If you want to get to know James O’Meara and his work better, I suggest you start with my Interview with James O’Meara.
* * *
If you have not made a donation to our Summer fundraiser yet, now is a good time. You can make two different types of donations:
- A single donation of any size.
- A recurring donation of any size.
Recurring donations are particularly helpful, since they allow us better to predict and plan for the future. We have added several new levels for recurring donations. Please visit our Donations page for more information.
We can also customize the amount of a monthly donation.
There are several ways to make one-time donations:
- The easiest is through Paypal. For a one-time donation, just use the following button:
- You can send check, money order, or credit card payment by mail. Just print out our donation form in Word or PDF.
- You can make a secure credit card donation direct from our Donation page.
Please give generously!
Thank you for your loyal readership and support.
Counter-Currents Radio Podcast No. 380 Greg Johnson & Endeavour Discuss James Bond
Racial Solidarity & Moral Hazard
Counter-Currents Radio Podcast No. 379 Ask Me Anything with Greg Johnson & Endeavour
Remembering Friedrich Nietzsche (October 15, 1844–August 25, 1900)
Remembering Aleister Crowley
(October 12, 1875–December 1, 1947)
Contre le sectarisme de droite
Qu’est-ce que l’Alt Right ?
Savitri Devi, Traditionalism, & Nature Religion